Information on Key to Change
String New Experiences Virtually
Join our online music community
Register before September 9, 2020!
The Key to Change violin studio in South King County offers middle and high school students year-long access to world class, professional violin instruction for low cost. Play viola? We now teach that as well!
Students may register for private lessons or group classes. Private lessons are one-on-one lessons with the instructor, while group classes may have between four to six students working with the instructor at the same time. All fall trimester classes are being offered virtually.
Key to Change students will:
- Take private or group violin or viola lessons
- Learn from a renowned university professor with a successful track record of teaching engaging material online
- Join our diverse community of passionate and talented string students
- Participate in master classes taught by guest artists
- Learn various styles of music
- Perform in quarterly recitals
- Take virtual classes twice a week in a supportive and healthy student environment
- Attend a yearly workshop catered towards preparing for college auditions and applications
- Make fast, incredible progress on your instrument in weeks!
- Become a more confident and successful student
Key To Change offers tools for students to thrive in times of uncertainty:
In a recent survey, 90% of our students have maintained perfect attendance and 95% believe they have made major improvements in their playing.
The Key to Change studio offers scholarships and financial aid. Please note that a completed lesson application must accompany the scholarship application.
Fall Trimester 2020 Lessons
Fall Trimester runs September 9 – December 11.
Key to Change is committed to maintaining a safe and supportive environment for our students and community members. Due to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak in our region, weekly violin and viola lessons at Key to Change are being conducted remotely via Zoom or Google Hangouts until further notice. Students’ weekly lesson times will remain the same, and they will receive a link via email to join in these online classes. Once it is safe to do so, we will return to the physical classroom.
For new applicants: A free consultation lesson for prospective students. To sign up for your free lesson, send an email to email@example.com.
Please note: All group classes meet twice per week. Students who register for group classes must commit to taking both classes. There are no lessons November 26 or 27.
Our lesson schedule is as follows (reminder: all Fall Trimester lessons are virtual and we will resume this schedule when it is safe):
Mondays and Thursdays
3:30pm Middle School Beginner Group Class (½ hour only)
This class is recommended for new students and covers technique, scales, etudes and short pieces
4pm Advanced High School Group Class
Students in this class must be able to play three-octave scales/arpeggios, etudes, concerto repertoire
5pm Intermediate Middle School Group Class
Students in this class are learning two-octave scales, etudes, some shifting exercises, and short solo pieces
6pm Lower Level String Class
Students in this class are learning one and two-octave scales, etudes, and short solo pieces. The class is for students who have been playing for a couple of years but need a refresher on technique and musical mechanics.
Tuesdays and Fridays
Tuesdays at 4pm, Fridays at 3:30pm: Middle and High School Group Class
This class is recommended for new students and covers technique, scales, etudes and short pieces
Tuesdays at 5pm, Fridays at 5:30pm: Middle and High School Group Class
This class is for intermediate students. Learning two and three octave scales, some shifting exercises, etudes and short pieces.
Tuesdays at 6pm, Fridays at 7:30pm: Beginner Violin Class
Students should have at least six months’ playing experience. Heavy emphasis on note reading, rhythm, technique and short pieces. This is a 30-minute violin class.
Private Lesson Times Available:
Thursdays: 10am or 1pm
Please note that students who register for private lessons must attend mandatory Studio Classes on Wednesday evenings from 6-8pm. Classes will take place on the following dates:
- September 9 and 23
- October 7 and 21
- November 4 and 18
- December 2 and 9
Renton High School
400 South Second Avenue
Renton, WA 98055
Mill Creek Middle School
620 Central Avenue North
Kent, WA 98032
Our Fall Trimester tuition is outlined below:
- 60-minute lesson = $1200 per trimester (approx. $48 per lesson)
- 30-minute lesson = $400 per trimester (approx. $12.50 per lesson)
- 60-minute lesson = $800 per trimester (approx. $25 per lesson)
Tuition for the entire session is due by the date of the first lesson. Payments received after the first lesson will be considered late and are subject to a $35.00 late fee to be added to the current invoice. Failure to pay by the third lesson will result in termination of lessons.
Please pay your tuition using the buttons below:
Students will need to purchase the following materials for the Fall Trimester 2020:
Required materials for all students, regardless of musical level
Rhythm Basics by Wendy Barden
Required for beginner violin students only
String Basics – Book 1 (Beginner Violin Students)
What You Can Expect From Key to Change:
- We provide high-quality music instruction catered to each student
- We treat all students with care and respect
- We will be prepared and on-time for all scheduled lessons, classes, and performances
- We will return all phone calls and emails in a timely and professional manner
- We will always listen when you have a concern and do our best to resolve the issue
Tuition may be paid in-person by check or by card online here. Checks must be made out to The Key to Change.
Expectations of Students and Parents:
- Must have a computer or smartphone with camera
- Must have a strong internet connection and modem
- Be prepared and on-time for all scheduled lessons, classes, and performances
- Be respectful of all students, teachers, and guest artists
- Practice your repertoire outside of lessons and complete practice assignments by the scheduled due dates
- Do your best not to miss any lessons or performances–if you must miss class, please notify us by phone or email at least one week in advance
- Check your email regularly during the session for announcements regarding recital dates, lesson scheduling, snow-day closings, and other lesson details
- Let us know if you see a way we can improve our services–we will always strive to be our best!
Cancellations or Missed Lessons:
Cancellations by Instructor:
- If we cancel for any reason, we will make up your missed lesson or credit the cost of that lesson back to you.
- By default, we do not have lessons on national holidays unless otherwise stated.
- Cancellation of lessons due to unsafe weather conditions will be up to the discretion of the instructor.
Cancellations by Student/Parent:
- Teachers are not required to make up a lesson missed by the student for any reason.
- If you are unable to attend a lesson, please let us know by phone or email at least one week beforehand.
- More than three unexcused absences in a session will result in termination of lessons.
- Key to Change is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged belongings.
- We work hard to create safe spaces for lessons and performances. In the event that something bad happens, we promise to provide support to our students to the best of our ability.
Child Protection Policy:
In order to create and maintain a safe, positive learning environment for all children, we are committed to putting these measures in place:
- During all private music lessons, the instructor will teach in a room with the door open.
- Parents are always welcome to stay in a waiting area within earshot of a private lesson. If they find it necessary, a parent may check the open door at any time without disturbing the lesson.
- Bullying or fighting between students will not be tolerated.
We strive to keep our costs at a minimum, however, over the course of the session students may need to spend additional money on the following tools and accessories:
- Sheet music or music books
- Recital clothing
Electronic Communications Policy:
Important announcements will be communicated with students and parents via email. It is expected that students and parents will check their email regularly for updates regarding recital dates and details, snow-day closings, schedule changes, and other lesson details. In the case of an emergency or last-minute schedule change, students and parents may be notified by phone.
Parents and students are encouraged to contact the instructor by phone, email, or in person if they have any questions or concerns with lessons or scheduling.
Key to Change is pleased to offer scholarships to deserving students, with the expectation that scholarship recipients will demonstrate hard work, dedication, and a positive attitude in their lessons. Failure to meet these expectations will result in loss of scholarship.
Scholarship recipients are expected to complete all practice assignments, attend all lessons, and serve as positive role models for other students. More than three unexcused absences in a semester will result in loss of scholarship. Students must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA in order to keep their scholarship.
Our studio serves middle and high school students ages 12-18.
Key to Change serves students in Renton, Kent, Auburn, and Federal Way neighborhoods and surrounding areas.
Lessons are offered Monday through Friday. We do not provide lessons on the weekends.
Lessons will be held virtually until further notice. Students have been overwhelmingly excited about our online offerings. Once it is safe, we will resume lessons in person. In person lessons are generally held at Renton High School and Mill Creek Middle School.
We offer viola lessons as well. Students may sign up for group or individual lessons.
Private lessons are one-on-one classes with the instructor, while group classes may have between four to six students working with the instructor at the same time. Private lessons allow for the instructor to gauge progress and set a pace that meets the individual student’s skills, abilities, and interests. Group lessons help build community and allow the students to learn from both the teacher and from their classmates.
Key to Change is pleased to offer financial aid and scholarships to deserving students based on the expectation that these students will demonstrate hard work, dedication, and a positive attitude in their lessons. Click here to apply for a scholarship.
Click here to apply for financial aid and scholarships. Please be sure to fill out all sections of the form completely and thoroughly, as the information gathered through this form will allow us to assess each student’s financial needs and award financial aid and scholarships accordingly.
Due to our tight lesson schedule, the instructor is not able to offer make-ups for lessons missed by the student for any reason. If the instructor cancels lessons, we will make up your missed lesson or credit the cost of that lesson back to you. Please review our Studio Policy for additional information.
We ask that you please be mindful of your lesson commitment and do your best not to schedule any conflicting appointments. If you are unable to attend a lesson, please let the instructor know by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least one week beforehand. In the case of an emergency or last-minute cancellation, call the instructor at 425.243.2597. Please note that more than three unexcused absences in a session will result in termination of lessons.
Tuition for the entire quarter is due by the date of the first lesson, and may be paid by check in-person or by card online through our website. Payments received after the first lesson will be considered late and are subject to a late fee to be added to the current invoice. Please review our Studio Policy for more information.
Tuition may be paid using the links below:
If you do not have access to an instrument, you are welcome to rent an instrument from our violin library for $25.00 per month
There are approximately 12 weeks in a trimester, with roughly 32 lessons for group lessons and 12 lessons plus 8 studio classes.